The Coromandel is one of the most visited places in New Zealand. And I can definitely see why! These 9 must stop places on our Coromandel road trip left me speechless. I would highly recommend adding them to your list!
Check out these 9 Must Stop Places to visit on a Coromandel Road Trip
- Hike the Pinnacles- This is the most challenging walk I have done on the North Island, but it was so worth it! The walk took us a little over 5 hours round trip. It included steep inclines, lots of stairs, and even some ladders to climb. The view at the top of The Pinnacles is one I will always remember!
- New Chum Beach- Definitely a hidden gem in The Coromandel! This beach can be reached after a 20 minute walk over rocky pathway. The beach was not crowded, had perfect white sand, and the most amazing view. Make sure to climb the little mountain on the right side of the beach for the best 360 degree view ever!
- Owharoa Falls- This waterfall is easily accessible and right off the road. When we got there, there were only 2 other people there. The falls were even better than I expected, and even though it was raining, it didn’t stop us from going for a swim!
- Cathedral Cove- Cathedral Cove is a place that seemingly everyone visits, but I can see why! The huge cave is beautiful and so fun to spend some time in. We went in the evening right before sunset, and there were very few people there. It takes about 25 minutes to walk from the parking lot to Cathedral Cove.
- Hot Water Beach- Hot Water Beach is another highly visited by tourists on The Coromandel. This was the busiest place that we visited on our trip. You have to go at low tide so you can dig your hole over the hot areas of sand, but when we got there, people had claimed every spot on the beach! We sat at an unoccupied area, but it was so close to the water, we couldn’t dig a hole. It was still really cool to be able to feel how hot the sand got under us though! (Picture in a hole that was made by friends we met there. They got there early to get a good spot, but it ended up not being a warm spot.)
- Lost Spring Spa- I am all about my hot spring spas. And so far, this one has been my favorite! It was a lovely environment and the perfect way to spend our afternoon. It is $40 for 90 minutes in the hot pools.
- Mount Paku-. A quick and easy walk in Tairua with some amazing views. I loved climbing up to the top of this hill to see gorgeous view below. And it was a bonus that we were the only ones up there!
- Karangahake Gorge Walk- A lovely walk through the bush, by the river, and through an old railroad tunnel. Pair this walk with visiting Owharoa Falls.
- Waihi Beach- I love Waihi beach for a lovely sunset walk, swing on the tire swing, and snack at the café!
These are my favorite places to stop on a Coromandel road trip! What are yours?
We stayed at an Airbnb in Tairua for our trip. Click here to get $ off your first stay with Airbnb!
If you’re looking for other places to visit on the North Island of New Zealand, check out : Rotorua, Waitomo Glow Worm Caves, Waiheke Island, Diving at Poor Knights Islands, My Northland Road Trip, and Taupo and the Tongariro Crossing.