I was lucky enough to spend 8 months living in Auckland. I found some amazing spots that I kept going back to over and over and in my opinion, they are definitely the best things to do in Auckland!
Whether you are spending a week or weekend in Auckland, make sure to add these things to your list of “Must Do’s!”
- Rangitoto Island Summit – Take an afternoon off and take the ferry to Rangitoto Island, a volcanic island that you can climb to the summit of for a beautiful walk as well as beautiful views of the city. It is the perfect walk that is close to the city, but will get you out into nature!
- Wine Tasting on Waiheke Island – Waiheke is SO fun! It’s the cutest little island that is a short ferry ride from the city. The island is known for its wineries, but there are also so many gorgeous beaches and walks on the island. You can spend the day there or the whole weekend! There are also some amazing views of Auckland from Waiheke Island. I wrote a full post about all of the things I loved in Waiheke here!
- Eat the best gelato in the world at Giapo – Probably my most visited place in Auckland during the 8 months that I lived there! Did I live in Auckland or just at Giapo? Maybe a little of both. I was hooked after the first time I tried it, and I went back so often, everyone knew me there. If that’s not saying how amazing it is, I don’t know what will! I wrote a whole post about the Giapo experience here!
- Take in the views at Mt. Eden – If you can’t tell, I looove some good views. If you don’t want to spend the money to go up the Skytower, or if you want a cool picture with the Skytower in it, Mt. Eden is the place to be! It’s a short walk to the top where you can see the whole city. I would love to pack a picnic and spend an afternoon taking in the views.
- Eat Dinner in the Dark– I’ve been wanting to experience this for as long as I can remember and Auckland was the perfect place to do it! At Dans de la Noir at the Rydges Hotel, you are brought into a completely pitch black room for dinner and are served by blind servers. They have you pour your own water and they don’t even tell you what you are being served! It was such a cool sensory experience and it was a great way to get to know the group of people you are seated at the table with. Many of us ended up eating with our hands and laughing until our bellies hurt. If you’re looking for a unique dining experience in Auckland, this is it!
- Go to the beach – Auckland is made up of some of the most amazing little areas. I personally love Mission Bay, Devonport, and Takapuna. They are cute little beach cities that are perfect for a day at the beach, or to just walk around the shops, eat at a cute café and window shop. I lived in Takapuna for a little while and I would literally move there. Such a cute little town!
- Dine above the city at Orbit 360– This was one of my favorite restaurants in Auckland because it has amazing food and is also such a fun experience! There is a minimum spend of $40 per person for dinner, but your dining experience also gets you an included ticket to the top of the sky tower! I recommend going at sunset for the most magical dinner experience!
Those are my go-to favorite places and I think they are the best things to do in Auckland!
Have you been? What are your favorite things to do in Auckland?
Pin Now, Adventure Soon